Friday, December 13, 2013

Early Season Upsets?

I'm just typing in tonight's games into the database trying not to pass out on the keyboard and I just saw a score that I had to say something about.  The Averill Park girls just beat Bethlehem by 10 points.  I'm fairly certain beating the team that lost in the AA championship game returning both Giacone sisters would classify as an upset.  There are lots of times, especially early in a season you see a score and think it may be surprising but you really just don't know what it means until you can see more scores to give it some clarity.  I'm not a big talent scout so I really have no idea what Averill Park had coming up this year from JV, but seeing this score certainly propped my head up a bit.

On the boys side, Stillwater beat Greenwich tonight by 7.  On the surface it doesn't seem like a big deal.  The Wasaren teams seem to be fairly comparable with the exception of Hoosic Valley and Hoosick Falls.  The scores aren't adding up so far and this one may turn out to be an upset when we look back on it.  Stillwater beat Tamarac by 9, and Greenwich and Granville by 7 each.  Tamarac beat Granville by 25 and Greenwich lost to Hoosic Valley by 17 who beat Granville by 37.  We'll find out soon enough.

If you look in the Adirondack League there are also some strange scores going around.  Lake George has already had two 2 point wins over two teams Argyle has beaten by a combined 44.  Lake George seems to play better when their backs are against the wall so this isn't necessarily foretelling their demise but it's definitely worth paying attention to.  It does make me start to think that Argyle may be the team to beat in the D bracket.

I'm going to be working on the State of the Section updates this upcoming week.  I was hoping to get them out this weekend, but the past week was total chaos and I just didn't have the time to work on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment